For the brunch, we knew we wanted to make a cute favor for the guests to take home, that would also double as a place card. In the weeks before the brunch, we went to target to check out the dollar section to see if there was anything that would jump out at us or spark an idea. We found these cute metal flower pots that we knew would be perfect to plant a succulent in and add a tag for a place card.
Here's what you need:
- flower pot (a small size is better)
- spray paint
- masking tape
- pebbles (we used small decorative filler rocks)
- kabob sticks
- card stock
- washi tape
Here's what to do:
- Using the masking tape, tape off the flower pot to show only the part that you want painted. We had 6 flower pots so we decided to mix it up a bit. We taped off the top of a few of them, a bottom of a few, and even did one completely painted.
- At the same time, we put our rocks into a box lid, spreading them out as evenly as we could. And sprayed them until the layer was completely covered. As they dried, we would shake up the box and even out again and keep repeating the process until we were happy with the coverage.
- To get all of our painting done at the same time, we went ahead and painted our kabob sticks to have them ready for the name cards.
- After the paint on the flower pot dries, remove the tape.
- Put in your dirt. Our flower pots had small holes about 1/3 from the top so we had to just make sure that our dirt was lower than those holes.
- Next we planted the succulents. The ones that we picked up came in one plant from the hardware store. We took them out and split them up into our pots. If the succulent was bigger, we only put one in the pot. If they were smaller, we would put a few in to take up a little more space.
- Using your hands, gently place your painted rocks in around your succulents. (Note: there were a few rocks that didn't get covered completely, but we just flipped them over once we placed them in to show the painted side.)
- To start the place cards, we cut our small rectangles out of card stock.
- Using washi tape, we put a decorative edge on the bottom of the rectangle.
- Write the names of your guests on the rectangles. We practiced how we were going to write them on a piece of scrap paper before we wrote on our card stock. You could also print the names on the card stock before you cut out the rectangles, if you prefer that.
- Using a small piece of washi tape, we taped the kabob stick to the back of the rectangle.
- After cutting the kabob sticks, to make sure they don't stick out from the flower pot too far, stick your place card in the dirt.