Nothing is better on an awesome fall day than a picnic! We have been wanting to find a picnic blanket that we could take to the park for a while now, but were not wanting to pay very much. So we decided to just make one ourselves.
Here's what you need:
- painting canvas from the hardware store (ours is 5x5 and has a waterproof backing on it which is perfect for sitting on the ground)
- Fabric paint
- paint brush/sponge brush
- Pom Poms (optional; see our tutorial here)
Here's what we did:
- We made up a pattern and using a posterboard created 2 templates. One large one and then a smaller one to add a few details. Because of the size of our template versus the canvas. We actually had to paint the template four times.
- We folded the canvas in half and then in half again.
- After taping down our template, to hold it in place, we used a sponge brush to apply the paint. We repeated this four times.
- Once that dried, we used our smaller template to paint gold squares throughout our pattern.
- Then we used our Pom Pom tutorial to add a finishing touch on our picnic blanket.
And then of course, we had to go on a picnic to try it out...
We will be posting later about our other fun picnic accessories, but if you have questions don't be afraid to ask. :)
Britt & Sky