When planning the brunch, we were trying to come up with something that we could make that would be a breakfast type food, but also double as a birthday cake. What kind of birthday celebration doesn't have a cake? Huh?
So we decided to make a naked, layered cake, using blueberry muffin batter and cream cheese frosting. Being busy girls we decided to take the easy way out and use muffin mix that we bought at the store and a can of frosting. Yes it probably taken the taste up a notch by making homemade recipes for both, but let's be honest ... ain't nobody got time for that! :)
If you go the easier route like us, here's what you need:
- muffin mix
- non-stick spray
- cream cheese frosting
- circle cutter
- baking pan
Here's what you do:
- Using the directions on your package, preheat your oven and prepare the blueberry muffins mix.
- Spray your pans.
- Pour the mix in your pans. Let them sit for a few minutes so the mix evens out in the pan.
- For bake times, because you don't want to over cook, we suggest checking your muffin layer with a toothpick every 5-7 minutes.
- Once they are golden brown and the toothpick comes out cleanly, remove the pan from the oven and allow it to cool for about a half hour or so.
- Taking your circle cutter, try to cut as many circles from your pan of muffins that you can.
- Lay down your first layer of muffin.
- Using a knife, spread the icing on, then stack a layer of muffin on top of that.
- Repeat until you have as many layers as you want.
- Eat up!! :)